Big Idea: Creating a Sketchup file and drawing basic elements ( lines, circles, arcs, and polygons) (Curriculum Objectives 1.1-1.4)
- Locate Google Sketchup on your computer (Start- All Programs- Sketchup 8). You might want to drag this to your desktop at this point so that locate the program easily.
- Open Google Sketchup.
- We are going to construct a box that is 8 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet high.
- Change your dimensions by selecting Window – Model info – Units – Decimal – Feet. This will allow you to build your box with feet as the unit of measurement rather than metres. You can switch back and forth as you wish
- Locate your rectangle tool. All of the tools are located along the top of the page. Draw a rectangle. Notice that Sketchup automatically tells you the dimensions. Draw your rectangle until it is 8 feet by 8 feet
- Locate your push pull tool. Click on your rectangle and drag it up to 8 feet using the push/pull tool. Notice you now have a box that is 8 ft x 8 ft x 8ft.
- Other tools: Select the following tools and complete the following tasks:
- Draw a circle on one face of your cube. Make the diameter 2 ft. Do this in the same way that you made your rectangle, but use the circle tool instead. Use the orbit tool in order to find the face on which you want to work.
- Use the select tool to select the circle you just made. Hit the delete key to make a circular window.
- Use the rectangle to make a door on another face of your cube. Make the door 6 feet 8 inches tall and 36 inches wide. Select the door and hit the delete key to create your doorway.
- Select the Arc tool to make an arc on top of your doorway.
- Extend your building to a total of 11 ft high by using the push and pull tool.
- Use the line tool to make a roof line at the 8 ft marker of the building.
- Use the push/pull tool to create your roof.
- Your finished product should be a building that is 8 ft x 8 ft x 11 ft that has a circular window and a door.
Correct Your Work – Correct Your Work Using this Link