Time Required – 2-3 hours
Big Idea: Creating a Sketchup file and drawing basic elements ( lines, circles, arcs and polygons) (Curriculum Objectives 1.1-1.4)
Introduction: This activity asks you to produce a simple Sketchup Up file and create and manipulate basic elements such as lines, circles, arcs, curves and polygons.
- Find the Sketchup icon on your computer and double-click to start. It should be located at Start – All Programs – Sketchup 8 – Sketchup (the Sketchup icon looks like a red and white cube with a corner missing).
- We want to start from a simple template. Sketchup may launch the “Welcome to Sketchup” from which you can choose – Choose Template – Simple Template Feet and Inches – Start Using Sketchup. If it doesn’t launch with this screen, simply click Help – Welcome to Sketchup – Choose Template – Simple Template Feet and Inches. You can click the little box in the bottom left that will launch this screen on every startup.
- You now have Sketchup running. You should see a person standing in a green background beside some intersecting lines.
- Tools – Please familiarize yourself with the following tools:
Line – This tool is represented by the pencil in the top left. Draw a line by clicking where you want to start the line, moving your mouse and then clicking where you want the line to end.
Circle – This tool is represented by the circle in the top left. Draw a circle by clicking and dragging until you have the circle of the desired radius that you want.
Arc – This is located next to the circle. Draw your arc by clicking the start and end points of your arc and then pulling the centre of the arc to the desired bulge radius.
Polygons (Square and Rectangle) – This is located next to the circle tool. Squares and rectangles are created by selecting this tool and dragging to the desired size.
- Create a Sketchup Document that contains:
Three lines measuring 3ft,6ft and 9ft.
Three circles with a radius of 1ft, 3ft, and 6 ft.
Three arcs with a 3ft,6ft, and 9ft bulge
Three squares of various dimensions.
- Save your Sketchup assignment by clicking – save as and giving it the title Drafting 1.1 your name.
- Remember where you saved your activity.
Correct Your Work – Correct your own work by watching this video.